The Karnataka State Budget for the year 2008 - 2009 was presented by Honourable Chief Minister Sri B. S. Yeddyurappa on 17th July 2008.
The highlights of the budget with respect to Hubli - Dharwad and North Karnataka are as below.
Vishal Kumar N Jain.
- 5 Crores for Agriculture University at Raichur
- Agricultural University (Horticulture) at Bagalkot
- 25 Crores Development Grant to Karnataka Institute of Medical Sciences, Hubli
- 50 Crores each for Hubli-Dharwad, Belgaum, Gulbarga, Bellary, Davangere, Mysore, Mangalore
- 136 Crores for Drinking Water Supply Project
- Karwar port will be developed on Public - Private Partnership Model
- 50 Crores Finanical Support to North West Karnataka Road Transport Corporation
- 700 acres of land to be acquired for International Aiport at Hubli
- 370 acres of land to be acquired for expansion of Airport at Belgaum
- Bidar - Gulbarga new railway line
- Sholapur-Bagalkot-Gadag railway line gauge conversion
- 4 Major Industrial Corridors
Bidar-Bangalore via Chitradurga
Tumkur-Honnavar via Shimoga
Chitradurga-Mangalore via Shimoga - Udupi
Bangalore-Belgaum via Davangere - Hubli - Dharwad
- 30 Crores for development of Basava Kalyana
- 25 Crores for Vishva Kannada Sammelana at Belgaum in December
- 25 Crores for improving infrastructure in Bidar City
- 5 Crores for setting up of drug testing laboratories in Hubli and Bellary
- Steel zone will be established for Bellary, Koppal, Raichur, Baglakot, Haveri and Gadag
- Cement zone will be established for Gulbarga, Bagalkot, Chitradurga, Belgaum and other districts
- Food zone will be established in Bangalore Rural, Kolar, Shimoga, Bagalkot,Bijapur, Davangere and other districts
- IT – BT zone will be established in Mysore, Mangalore, Hubli-Dharwad, Belgaum, Shimoga and Gulbarga
- Automobile Zone in Ramanagara, Shimoga and Hubli-Dharwad
- Garment zone will be established in Bangalore Rural, Tumkur, Kolar, Mandya, Belgaum, Bidar, Dharwad and other districts.
- An export-import office will be established in Hubli.
- An amount of Rs.2 Crores has been allocated for the development of “Aryabhata” IT Park at Hubli.
- Truck terminals will be established in Mysore, Hubli-Dharwad,Belgaum and Bellary through public private partnership.
- 50 Crores for Suvarna Vidhana Soudha at Belgaum