Today, the 4th of July 2008, is a historic day, not just for Dharwad and Mumbai Karnataka but for the entire state of Karnataka. Justice has finally arrived at the doorstep in Mumbai Karnataka. The High Court of Karnataka opens its Circuit Bench at Dharwad today.
The details are given below. (as appeared in Deccan Herald dated 4th July 2008)
Vishal Kumar N Jain.
- Clients are now greatly relieved of the burden of travelling to far off Bangalore - the principal seat of the High Court.
- Speedy disposal of cases.
- Easy for clients to track the progress of the case at every stage.
- Better employment opportunities for Advocates in Mumbai Karnataka region.
- The Bench is a symbol of victory to over 50 years of struggle of the people in this area for Circuit Bench of High Court.
Salient Features of the Circuit Bench:
- A magnificent building with attractive architecture built at a total cost of Rs. 115 Crores in a sprawling plot of 46 acres.
- Jurisdictional area of the bench: Belgaum, Bellary, Bagalkot, Dharwad, Haveri, Gadag, Uttara Kannada and Koppal.
- The Bench settles all cases except Public Interest Litigations (PIL) and Company Matters.
- 22,000 cases pertaining to this area transferred already to the Bench from the High Court at Bangalore.
- Inauguration on Friday, 4th July 2008 at 3pm.
- Inauguration by Honourable Dr. Justice K. G. Balakrishnan, Chief Justice of India
- Chief Guest - Sri B. S. Yeddyurappa, Honourable Chief Minister of Karnataka
- Chief Guest - Honourable Sri Justice R. V. Raveendran, Judge, Supreme Court of India
- Presided by - Honourable Sri Justice Cyriac Joseph, Chief Justice, High Court of Karnataka