The Karnatak University, Dharwad was established in the year 1949 at Mumbai. The location was shifted to Dharwad in October 1949. The university was officially inaugurated in March 1950. In the formative years the university had the leadership of Dr. D. C. Pavate as the Vice-Chancellor (1954 - 1967). The university campus has been named as Pavate Nagar in memory of the genius. This is the second oldest university in the state of Karnataka.
The university campus is located at Pavate Nagar, Dharwad, Karnataka, INDIA - 580003. It is spread over a vast expanse of 750 acres on the hill named 'Chota Mahabaleshwar', one of seven hillocks on which Dharwad is beautifully perched. The campus is full of beautiful greenery and good gardens and parks. Quarters are provided to the teaching staff, non-teaching staff and employees of the university to stay on the campus. Recreation and sports facilities are also provided on the campus.
The university library with a vast collection of books and journals caters to the information needs of the students and helps them in their research work. The library is housed in a functionally planned independent building with a mezzanine floor, ground floor and first floor. It consists of a browsing hall, reading rooms and stack rooms.
Colleges from the 7 districts of Dharwad, Gadag, Haveri, Bijapur, Bagalkot and Belgaum are affiliated to this university. A list of all the affiliated colleges is provided on the university website.
You might also like: